If you run an accounting business, having the right credit card can make your life a whole lot easier. Whether you need a good card that will link well with your own account software, one that works well for your business expenses, or one that can help you cover some of your costs, it’s important to consider several options before choosing one.
To help, we’ve put together a list of our top four business credit cards for accountants, based on some of these features. As you compare each, think about your business’ needs and your own personal preferences.
Best for accounting tools:
As with other American Express OPEN business credit cards, this one offers some features that will make it easier to run your business, including:
- Spend Manager, which allows you to add receipts and notes to each of your transactions.
- The ability to link your account to Quickbooks to easily label and transfer your transaction data.
- Year-end summaries that categorize your expenses by month and purchase type.
. If you need to finance a big expense, you can do so with the cards’ APR of . The card doesn’t have an annual fee.
See All Credit Cards And Financing Offers For Accountants
When you sign up for a free Nav account, we'll ask you a few questions about your business and then you'll be matched with tailored offers based on your data.Get My Offers
Best for fair credit: Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
Getting a credit card with a great rewards program or helpful accounting features is ideal. But most business credit cards require that you have good or excellent personal credit to get approved.
That’s not the case, though, with the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business. The card is designed for people with what Capital One calls “average credit,” which is defined as: you’ve defaulted on a loan in the past year, or you have a limited credit history (less than three years).
The card has no annual fee and also offers 1% cash back on every purchase you make. It also offers quarterly and yearly summaries, as well as a feature that allows you to download your records into Quicken, Quickbooks, or Excel.
How to pick the right business credit card for you
With so many business credit cards on the market, it can be tough to know which one is best for you. As you compare these and other top credit cards, it’s important to know three things:
- Your credit score: All business credit cards require a personal credit check to get approved. If your score is in bad shape, you may need to get a secured credit card and work on improving your credit first.
- Your business expenses: A lot of business credit cards offer bonus rewards on certain business-related expenses. Know what your biggest expenses are and search for a card that will help you maximize your rewards on those purchases.
- Your preferences: A business credit card is more than its rewards program. Take some time to think about other features, such as the annual fee, a 0% APR promotion, or accounting tools. With the full picture in your view, you’ll have an easier time choosing the right one.
As you consider these factors, it’s also important to know that the card that’s right for you may not be right for you a few years from now. Businesses change, and as yours grows, reassess whether you have the right card for your needs. If not, don’t hesitate to start the process all over again to ensure you get the most bang for your buck.