Keeping track of your small business’s invoices, payroll, and expenses can be a lot — here’s where QuickBooks for small business comes in. QuickBooks allows you as a busy small business owner to outsource your bookkeeping and other accounting tasks you simply don’t have time for.
We know that choosing an accounting software can be confusing, and that’s why we wrote this review. We’ll cover the various QuickBooks products, how to choose the right one for your small business, and pros and cons of using QuickBooks. Let’s get started to see if QuickBooks is right for your small business.
QuickBooks Products Overview
QuickBooks falls under the Intuit umbrella and offers an array of bookkeeping and accounting services to its customers. There are three main versions of QuickBooks for small business, and each is made for a specific purpose.
Best for Independent Contractors: QuickBooks Self-Employed
QuickBooks Self-Employed offers many features that freelancers or independent contractors will find simplifies running a business. There are three available options.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed: Offers tools for basic bookkeeping.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed Tax Bundle: Includes everything with QuickBooks Self-Employed, plus it integrates TurboTax into the platform to simplify tax time.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed Live Tax Bundle: Offers everything above, plus gives you access to a live certified public accountant, enrolled agent, or tax attorney any time you have questions.
Users can connect their bank accounts to QuickBooks Self-Employed to separate business and personal expenses automatically, as well as track mileage and import receipts. You can also run business reports and calculate estimates for quarterly tax payments.
With the added tax bundles, you can connect your QuickBooks for small business account directly to TurboTax and file your taxes from QuickBooks. The cost includes the tax filing fees for one state and one federal return. If you choose the Live Tax Bundle, you can connect with a tax professional to answer any questions throughout the year, as well as have your return reviewed before you file.
From $15 to $35 per month. QuickBooks is offering 50% off for the first three months at the time of writing.
Best for Most Small Businesses: QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online is the cloud-based small business accounting software that allows you to access the platform from anywhere and likely will offer the accounting features your small business needs. There are four plans to choose from.
- QuickBooks Simple Start: Gives you the basic accounting tools your business requires to run smoothly, like the ability to create invoices and business reports for one user.
- QuickBooks Essentials: Includes everything above, but adds up to three unique users and features like bill and time tracking.
- QuickBooks Plus: Allows for up to five unique users, plus things like inventory management and project cost tracking.
- QuickBooks Advanced: Allows for up to 25 unique users and many more accounting features, like analytics and employee expense tracking.
We break down the most important features of each QuickBooks Online plan in the table below.
From $25 to $180 per month. QuickBooks is offering 50% off for the first three months at the time of writing.
Best for Complex Accounting Demands: QuickBooks Desktop
If your small business has complicated accounting needs or you prefer to work from one location, you might consider QuickBooks Desktop. With this version, you can’t log into your account from the cloud, so it would work best for those who don’t need remote access.
There are four QuickBooks Desktop packages to choose from — but anything higher than the ProPlus package may be best suited for medium or large-sized businesses.
- QuickBooks ProPlus 2022: Includes one user, but you can add up to three for an additional cost.
- QuickBooks for Mac: Comparable in terms of features and pricing to QuickBooks Pro but designed specifically for Mac users.
- QuickBooks Premier Plus 2022: Includes one user, but you can add up to five more for an additional cost.
- QuickBooks Enterprise 22.0: Includes up to 40 unique users and premium customer service.
The standard desktop option — QuickBooks ProPlus 2022 — gives you advanced accounting tools like online bill pay and customized payment stubs to vendors.
The next tier, the Premier Plus 2022 plan, offers everything from ProPlus 2022 but adds things like sales order management, inventory tracking, and the ability to create price levels.
With the upgraded Enterprise 22.0 plan, you can dial into multiple industry-specific settings for QuickBooks, as well as tap into features like advanced reporting capabilities.
From $349.99 to $1340 annually. The Enterprise 22.0 plan currently has a 40% off discount.
There are several useful products that you can tack onto your QuickBooks plan that are worth considering.
QuickBooks Payment allows you to send invoices and get paid using a debit or credit card, Apple Pay, e-Check, or ACH bank transfers. It works with QuickBooks Online accounts. You’ll have to pay a convenience fee for each transaction.
With QuickBooks Payroll, you can automate your employee payroll, get protection from tax penalties, have sales tax calculated for you, and offer same-day direct deposit. Also, you can incorporate important perks to offer your staff, like HR support, employee health benefits, and 401(k) plans. Be sure to pick the right Payroll plan for the version of QuickBooks you run.
QuickBooks Point of Sale
QuickBooks offer a point-of-sale system you can use with its Desktop version. QuickBooks Point of Sale can sync directly with any QuickBooks Desktop package. So, if you’re using QuickBooks Desktop and need a POS system, consider this option through QuickBooks.
Track hours for employees and contractors, create schedules, and track mileage. You can also create a punch-in clock, if needed. You can sign up for one of two plans that integrate with QuickBooks and start at $20 per month.
How to Choose the Right QuickBooks for Your Small Business
Choosing an accounting software like Intuit QuickBooks for small business can be tricky, so we’re here to help.
Before deciding which QuickBooks product might work best, first think through the necessary features that will help you grow your business. A free trial or a demo can provide valuable insight — and it may help to compare another service, like Freshbooks vs QuickBooks. Decide whether you’ll need expert accounting or bookkeeping advice from QuickBooks, as well, as that will affect the price.
Next, think about access. Consider whether logging in through an internet connection via QuickBooks Online or access from one set location via QuickBooks Desktop would work better for your small business.
Also, consider the future. Make sure you choose the version of QuickBooks that can scale to your changing needs — since not all QuickBooks versions can. And decide how many people need unique user IDs or whether you can share one login.
Last but not least, consider the cost. The price of your accounting software shouldn’t eat into your overhead budget too much.
QuickBooks Features & Pricing Comparison
This table details each of the four QuickBooks Online plans and compares each of their features.
|QuickBooks Online Feature||Simple Start Plan ($25/month)||Essentials Plan ($50/month)||Plus Plan ($80/month)||Advanced Plan ($180/month)|
|Track income & expenses||X||X||X||X|
|Create invoices to send to clients||X||X||X||X|
|Share tax information||X||X||X||X|
|Create financial reports, like balance sheet and profit & loss statement||X||X||X||X|
|Put together project estimates||X||X||X||X|
|Prepare 1099s for any contractor||X||X||X||X|
|Track employee and billable hours||X||X||X|
|Online bill pay||X||X||X|
|Analyze project profitability through job costing||X||X|
|Track key performance indicators||X|
|Integrate with other business service apps (HubSpot, DocuSign, etc.)||X|
|Data backups and restoration||X|
|Personalized customer support||X|
Pros and Cons of QuickBooks for Small Business
- Eases the burden of running your small business. Being able to offload some of the administrative work can free up your valuable time.
- Simplifies your business processes. Automating your processes and bundling many of its operations into one platform can make everything run smoother.
- Reduces error. Having automated processes can reduce human error and keep your books more accurate.
- Monthly fee. Each of the main QuickBooks products have either an annual or a monthly fee.
- Additional features and products increase costs. Although QuickBooks comes with many features, choosing any add-on products will cost you.
- Limits on the number of users. You have to pay more to add more unique users to each account.
Other Accounting Solutions for Small Business
If you’d like to explore other bookkeeping and accounting options outside of QuickBooks for small business, here are a few of our top picks.
Like QuickBooks, FreshBooks also offers an online version that you can log into remotely. Offers basic accounting tools, like invoicing, payments, time tracking, and proposal creation. Pricing is based on the number of billable clients rather than the number of users.
TurboTax is an Intuit company that can act as your business’s accountant. You can file your state and federal taxes with the company’s professionals on staff. This option could work well for freelancers, independent contractors, or small businesses.
Bench offers bookkeeping and tax services. Its experts can file your business taxes for you and help you if you’re behind with your bookkeeping. Bench offers two packages — one if you’re less than two years behind on your books and one if you’re more than two years behind.
1-800Accountant can work on bookkeeping, payroll, taxes, and can help you through an audit. You get matched with a CPA that understands your state laws and your industry.