Credit mishaps happen for a number of reasons, and perhaps one has happened to you. The good news is that there are a few business credit cards for bad credit which will give you the chance to build your business credit so that you can qualify for credit increases or new cards without having your personal credit called into question. (Solid business credit scores can open a number of other doors as well).
To save you time, we’ve put together a list of what we think are the best business credit cards for bad credit available to business owners.
Our top pick: Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
- Annual Fee: $0
- Rewards: Earn 1% cash back on all purchases
- High interest: 23.99% variable APR
- Late payment fee: Up to $39
The Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business card allows cardholders to earn rewards without needing excellent personal credit scores to qualify. As a huge bonus, business owners who make on time payments and keep their balances low can build business credit, however it’s worth noting that your payment history may be reported to personal credit reporting agencies and affect your personal credit scores. (Editor’s Note: This card’s details were updated in June to reflect new terms.)
Secured Business Credit Cards
For business owners looking to build their business credit, another option is a secured business credit card. A secured card requires a security deposit that can be used to pay your debt if you default. This is a way for credit card companies to minimize the risk of a bad credit borrower. Secured cards usually allow borrowers to charge up to the amount of their security deposit (below you’ll see a case where that isn’t quite true).
Our Top Picks:
1. Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card
- Rewards: 1% cash back or 1 point for every dollar spent: your choice. $50 annual fee after the first year to enroll in rewards program
- Low interest: Prime rate + 9.90% APR
- 21-day grace period on purchases
- Annual fee: $25
- $50 annual fee after first year to enroll in rewards program
The Wells Fargo Business Secured Credit Card allows cardholders to secure a credit line between $500 – $25,000, depending on how much you are willing to deposit. With this card, the amount of your credit line is equal to the amount you deposit. This card has a very low interest rate and the annual fee is low at $25. The only big drawback is that cardholders who wish to earn rewards points on their purchases will have to pay an annual enrollment fee of $50.
2. BBVA Compass Business Secured Visa Credit Card
- Low interest: 16.49% (or WSJ Prime + 12.99%)
- Rewards: 1 point for every dollar you spend. Choose your own categories in which you’d like to earn double or triple points.
- No rewards enrollment fee
- Annual fee: $40
- Only 90% of your deposit will be available as a credit line
The BBVA Compass Business Secured Credit Card works similar to the Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card, however your credit line will only be equal to 90% of your deposit amount. There is a higher annual fee at $40 per year, but there is no fee to enroll in the rewards program. Additionally, the annual fee for the first year is waived. The rewards for this card include double or triple points in the category of your choice, which is a great perk for business owners who spend a large portion of their credit on one category, such as gas or groceries.
Keep In Mind…
Secured business credit cards or business credit cards for bad credit can be good options for business owners with poor or fair credit who need a small amount of capital now. Even with a low credit limit, these cards can help you build business credit Before you apply, here are couple things you’ll want to do:
- Know and monitor your credit score. You can monitor your personal and business credit score with a free Nav account.
- Make sure a business credit card is the best option for you, and look into business loans if you think a loan might be a better financing option for your business.
|Nav's MatchFactor technology is the only place that instantly shows your approval odds for business loans and credit cards before you apply. See my match scores for free.|