The internet has been a boon for small business owners. For virtually zero in overhead costs, anyone can launch a website to sling their wares. It’s no wonder that the number of e-commerce companies has exploded.
With this growth and ease of access comes a problem though–namely, a lot of noise. If you’re not careful, your product or service can become lost among the competition.
Fortunately, taking a few easy steps will give you a leg up in the new year. Seriously, you don’t need a Ph.D in Computer Science to pull these off, so let’s get to it!
Here are six tips to help you boost your site’s traffic and online sales in 2015:
- Optimize your site for various browsers. Today’s consumers have a few browser options, and certain features of your website may not appear in the same manner across Chrome, Safari, Firefox or any of the other choices. Ensure your customers can get the full experience regardless which browser they use by testing the site on several browsers. Also, consider screen size. Many people are using tablets and smart phones as their main way of accessing the Internet, so you want to ensure customers can clearly view your products and services on each platform.
- Don’t hide your search bar. When visitors come to your home page, they should be able to find your search bar immediately. If they don’t have a means of quickly finding what they’re searching for, there’s a chance they’ll become frustrated and check a competitor’s site. Furthermore, make certain the search service you use generates relevant results.
- Have detailed descriptions. Your product descriptions should be comprehensive. Many people like to compare products and services before they make a final purchase decision, which means your product pages should include all pertinent details. These can include sizing information, item availability and color options, among other details.
- Mention shipping costs. You don’t want customers to decide against buying one of your products because they get sticker shock when they see the shipping price at checkout. Shipping information should be available on the product page so site visitors know their total costs at once.
- Maximize your search visibility. When writing your product descriptions, pay attention to principles of search engine optimization, such as keyword placement. This can help your site get better rankings when people search for products and services you offer.
- Promote sales and exclusive deals on social media. This step can help your social media branding as well. Consumers like to be rewarded, so offer unique discounts to customers who subscribe to your company’s social media profiles.
Here’s to a successful 2015!